This is a hearty dish with a lot of flavour.
Smoky spicy chipotle peppers, rich cocoa, sweet tangy orange.
Eating this makes me happy and I hope it does the same for you.
Onions, carrots, celery = mirepoix. The foundation.
Building that flavour one step at a time. First your onions, carrots, celery, then your spices.
Just about half way and it is starting to look and smell really good.
Black beans with chipotle peppers. A match made in heaven.
A short video of the delicious action.
How do you make this awesome dish you ask? Well I am going to tell you of course.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Orange Cocoa Stew
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 celery rib, diced
1 medium sweet potato, cut in chunks
1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
zest of half an orange
1 or 2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped (comes in a can) – 2 if you like it hot and smokey
2 tbsp of the adobo sauce
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
2 cups boiling water
1 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 avocado for garnish, cut in chunks (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 dried chili, crushed
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1. In a large pot or dutch oven sauté your onions, garlic, carrots and celery in the olive oil for 5 minutes until they begin to soften. You can add a little salt and pepper at this point. 3 twists of the grinders for each will do.
2. While you veggies are sautéing mix your spices in a mortar and pestle and grind together. Once the veggies are ready add the spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add your beans, sweet potato, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce. Mix everything together and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the orange juice and stir around for 30 seconds. Add the water.
4. Cook for 25- 30 mins stirring occasionaly. If during cooking you feel you need to add more water go ahead. A little bit at a time.
5. Remove from heat. Add chopped cilantro and orange zest.
6. Serve in bowls topped with a few pieces of avocado.
serve in bowls with brown rice or organic corn tortillas
Serves 2 (maybe 3)
Enjoy the smokey goodness. This one is money in the bank.
Powered by Facebook Comments