I’m back! Back from my 2 week vacation (1 week in England and 1 week in Italy) I ate some amazing food, some of it healthy, and some not so. I will share some photos form my trip in an upcoming post.
Eating cherries from the tree growing on the property where we were staying was absolutely incredible. Hands down the best cherries I have ever had. Waking up every morning and picking a lemon right off one of the three lemon trees right outside the kitchen for my lemon water was something I am going to miss dearly. Now I need to think about paying 1$ for 3 lemons at the market here.
I am glad to be back home and excited to get back to creating new and delicious recipes in my kitchen, ( the reason I started Health is Happiness in the first place.)
Before I share any new creations, here is a protein packed grain salad that I made a few times while working on the 30 day challenge. It is quick to make and incredibly delicious.
It was created one day when I needed a meal but didn’t have many fresh ingredients in the fridge, so I turned to the pantry to see what I could put together. Having a well stocked pantry really does come in handy. Check out my post on building a healthy pantry if you haven’t done so already.
Protein Packed Grain Salad
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup red rice
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 can chickpeas (540 ml), drained and rinsed
2-3 roasted red peppers, chopped (from a jar)
10-12 marinated artichoke hearts, chopped (from a jar)
2-3 tbsp capers, chopped (from a jar)
a big handful of parsley, chopped
1/2 cup pine nuts, roasted
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Note: I often prepare a grain mixture like this one ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for when I need to whip up a meal in a hurry.
1. Combine the brown and red rice together in a medium size pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes and then add the quinoa and another cup of water. Cook for another 10 minutes or so. You may need to add another 1/4-1/2 cup water.
2. While the grains are cooking prepare the rest of your ingredients.
3. Once the grains are cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
4. Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Serve with a glass of lemon water and enjoy while sitting outside in the sun when possible!
Powered by Facebook Comments