I am back! It has been quite some time since I last posted. Probably the longest I have gone without posting since starting Health is Happiness. I spent the last month or so dealing with finding a new apt and moving. I am extremely happy to say that I am settled and back to creating delicious meal to share on the site!
For those of you that have moved before you know what it’s like. Your everyday routine gets thrown out the window and your life can feel like it’s a little all over the place. One of the meals that kept me a float during the whole process was rice and beans. It was so easy to throw together in a hurry and is delicious!
This quick and easy red beans and rice recipe is by no means a 100% traditional or authentic rice and beans recipe. Caribbean and South American countries have different versions of this classic dish. Rest assured this recipe is equally delicious, nutritious and comforting.
There are different types of beans, and a variety of spices used. The beans are small red kidney beans. They aren’t as easy to find as the large ones. Most ethnic grocery stores will carry them in canned and/or dried form. Although I generally prefer and recommend using dried beans, I always keep a variety of canned beans on hand.
Traditionally the beans would be made from scratch and not from a can but there are days when time is limited and we need to put together a meal in a hurry. With our busy lives we all have those days. This easy red beans and rice recipe can be whipped up in about 30 minutes and can easily be doubled so you can have leftovers for lunch.
I made this recipe with my girlfriend whose family come from Nicaragua and Columbia. She grew up eating rice and beans and helped me with this recipe. It took some convincing for her to let me use brown rice but I won that battle. No, it’s not the same with brown rice as it is white rice but it is still delicious! She agreed.
Be sure to let the rice get a little crispy in the pan, which makes it extra delicious!
I used a red pepper this time around, which makes the recipe a little sweeter. Although I am generally not a huge fan of green peppers, I really like them in this recipe.
Have you made rice and beans before? What does your recipe look like?
Easy Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 2 cups cooked red beans
- ¾ cup brown rice, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, diced
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the brown rice with 1½ cups water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is cooked and water is completely evaporated. If all the water evaporates before the rice is cooked add a little bit more. Different rice can vary in cooking times.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the coconut oil in large pan on medium heat, add the onion, garlic, red pepper, bay leaves, salt and black pepper. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes until the veggies are soft and translucent.
- Add the beans and mix well. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and mix well. Cook for another 10 minutes. Leave it be for a few minutes at a time to allow the rice to get a little crispy in the pan.
- Taste and re-season if necessary.
Powered by Facebook Comments