Although the past few days have been very kind to us here in Montreal as far as weather goes, we can’t deny that fall is upon us. And what does that mean? It means time for making soups! Delicious soul warming soups like this broccoli, leek and potato soup.
Fall’s seasonal ingredients lend very well to a wide variety of soups. Leeks, broccoli and potatoes are just a few of fall’s delicious offerings. Butternut squashes, pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers, a wide variety of greens, beets, carrots, apples etc.
I took a trip to the market (Jean-Talon) on Friday. Needless to say I was in food heaven. So much incredible produce, it was a little overwhelming. I am not exaggerating when I say that I can’t fit anything else in my fridge right now. Eggplants, beans, beets, leeks, peppers, romanescu, onions celery root, red garlic and more. It’s hard to say no when the produce is so fresh. The only “problem”is that it comes in massive quantities. I bought a bushel of butternut squash for 8$!
There is so much I didn’t buy as well: Brussels sprouts, cabbage, parsnips and plenty more. I did buy 2 bushels of San Marzano tomatoes and spent most of Saturday, with help. processing and preserving them! I look forward to being able to make deliciously sweet tomato sauce in the middle of winter.
Leek and potato soup is an all time classic combination. Many traditional recipes call for it, but cream is definitely not necessary to make a delicious leek and potato soup. Especially not when you add broccoli and top it with roasted fennel.
The idea to add fennel came to me as I was making the soup. I thought to myself, “how can I make this soup even better?” Sliced up some fennel, threw it in the oven, and bam. It took an already delicious soup to the next level.
What are your favourite soups to make as the weather gets cooler and cooler?
Broccoli, Leek & Potato Soup with Roasted Fennel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped (white or yellow fleshed)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few chives for garnish (optional)
- 1 large bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil on medium and add the leeks, carrots, and garlic with a little salt and pepper. Sauté for 7 minutes.
- Place the sliced fennel in a roasting pan and drizzle with a little olive oil. Roast in the oven stirring occasionally for about 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the potatoes, broccoli, broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes before blending with a hand blender until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve in bowls garnished with roasted fennel and chopped chives.
Powered by Facebook Comments