Who doesn’t love a loaf of fresh, sweet zucchini bread straight out of the oven. What’s even better is one that is free of highly refined flours and sweeteners. This vegan and gluten free zucchini bread turned out to be amazing! I would be lying if I said I was 100% confident with how it would turn out.
I don’t do too much baking, because I like to make stuff up as I go, and just go with the flow. This style doesn’t usually lend itself too well to baking. Once in a while, I decide to give it a go, and see what happens.
My friend Justin brought my gf and I a huge zucchini from his wine tasting trip in Ontario. When I say huge, I mean huge! Zucchini this big are also known as marrow. The skin was hard like a squash, and the seeds were big like a squash. Since we had so much zucchini to use up, it only seemed fitting we make some zucchini bread.
Instead of using eggs I used ground flax with warm water. If you have never tried this before, it works quite well for many recipes. I often use it for pancake recipes like this grain-free pancake recipe also made with chickpea flour.
If you are wondering about chickpea flour, I highly suggest you give it a try. Every time I use it I am surprised by how well it turns out. It is a great and healthy alternative to wheat flour. Great if you are sensitive to gluten, but I think everyone should give it a try.
To sweeten the bread I used some coconut sugar as well as a little bit of good old maple syrup. I also used a banana which added more sweetness allowing me to keep the amount of added sugar down. It also helps keep the bread moist. When exploring other zucchini bread recipes I saw some with apple sauce, but I didn’t have any on hand. I might give this a try next time.
The bread is flavoured with vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg which really give it a nice fall flavour. I love having a bread like this lying around. It’s great to grab as a quick snack when you are in a rush.
How are you enjoying fall in your kitchen? What delicious things are you creating with this years harvest?
Gluten Free Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Dry Ingredients
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- Wet Ingredients
- 2 cups peeled and grated zucchini
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Combine the ground flax and the ½ cup water in a bowl and mix well. Let stand for at least 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Remove as much of the excess moisture from the grated zucchini as you can by squeezing it in your hands with some paper towel.
- Combine the grated zucchini, with the flax mixture, and the rest of the wet ingredients. MIx well.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl a mix well.
- MIx the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Grease a 4x8 loaf pan with coconut oil and dust it with chickpea flour.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 40-50 mins.
Powered by Facebook Comments