Happy New Year everybody! It has been quite a while since my last post. Hopefully you enjoyed the holidays with friends and family, and are excited for 2014!
I certainly am! So many projects and ideas to bring to life. Looking forward to sharing them with you.
If eating better is one of your resolutions for the new year, you may want to start with this oven roasted bbq style tempeh. Some of you live in warmer climates where you can still use your barbecues, but here in Montreal we are in a deep freeze. Even if you are still grilling, I find baking tempeh in a sauce is the best way to get it to soak up flavor.
The other day when I was buying tempeh at the health food store, the clerk and another client were wondeirng how to cook tempeh. I feel that many people don’t really know what to do with tempeh. Don’t be scared to try it. Although fermented soybeans might not sound so delicious, I promise you it can be. I personally much prefer tempeh over tofu as do many of my friends.
Check out these other tempeh recipes I have on the site as well:
In the bowl you see pictured here, I combined the oven roasted bbq style tempeh with simple brown rice and steamed kale. An extremely nourishing meal. Feel free to combine it with whatever veggie and grain you wish. Could be steamed brocoli and quinoa instead.
Would love to hear about your healthy new year’s resolutions, if you have any?
- 16 oz tempeh (usually 2 x 8oz packages)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine all the ingredients, (except the tempeh), in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Cut the tempeh into ½ inch thick slabs. Different brands of tempeh come in different size blocks. Cut accordingly.
- Pour the sauce into a baking dish big enough to fit all the tempeh when you lay it out flat.
- Place the tempeh in the dish and make sure it is completely covered in sauce.
- Bake for 35-40 mins until the sauce has thickened and is nice and sticky. Brush on any remaining sauce. .
Powered by Facebook Comments